Templates for Blogger, Facebook, Twitter and Orkut - Click here»

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Sir Alex Ferguson: I'm in no mood for retiring at Manchester United


Sir Alex Ferguson has insisted he is still the number one powerhouse at United and has no plans to retire.

The Reds manager had pencilled in a possible 2011 date to quit Old Trafford.

He’s just celebrated 24 years in charge at the club and next month, just before his 69th birthday, he will become United’s all-time longest serving manager, eclipsing Sir Matt Busby’s stint.

But like his famous 2002 retirement U-turn Fergie said: “I’ve changed my mind – again. I’m in no mood for it. As long as my health is good, I intend to carry on.

“If my health deteriorated it would be different but retirement is for young people – they can do something else. If I get off that treadmill where do you think I’d go – only one way, down.”

Wayne Rooney’s recent statement that he wouldn’t sign a new Reds contract because of United’s transfer ambition, before retracting his words and penning a new five-year deal, was a challenge to Ferguson’s authority and a potentially disruptive episode for the dressing room. Clearly, the 25-year-old striker was sailing extremely close to the wind.

“Some young people today take bad advice,” added Sir Alex. “He’s got an agent who is not the most popular man in the world, certainly not at our club.

“But there’s nothing wrong with making a mistake as long as you recognise it.

“He (Rooney) has apologised and signed a new contract. I think what we want is Wayne back to his best. When that happens I think everyone will be OK.

“My concern will always be control. The minute a player threatens my control in the dressing room I have to take it seriously,” he said.

“I have to consider, Is this worthwhile? Is it affecting the team morale? Is it affecting results? Is it affecting the atmosphere in the dressing room?

“If that is the case, the player has to go, no question. My strength has to be obvious for all to see.

“The minute a footballer becomes more important than a manager, your club is dead. The history of this club goes right down the drain.

“I am the most important man at Manchester United. It has to be that way.”

Ferguson also had some words of advice for “noisy neighbours” Manchester City.

“You CAN buy success if the structure is right,” he said. “They’ve (City) bought some good players, no question, but building spirit is not easy when a collection of different individuals come into the dressing room. It’s a big challenge, it’s not easy.”

Addressing a sports congress in Doha, where he has been lending his enthusiastic support to Qatar’s bid to stage the 2022 World Cup, Ferguson praised United’s controversial American owners the Glazers.

“We have a great relationship, they never bother me, they never phone,” he said.

“They never interfere. What more can you ask for? I’m in a privileged position. I’ve heard of English owners texting managers during training sessions.”

0 comments: